UCI Esports and Campus Recreation are joining forces to create a free intramural offering to the entire UCI campus community (current undergraduate/graduate students, faculty, staff) for the Spring 2020 Quarter. All participation will be online. The goal is to provide programming across a variety of video game titles so folks can participate regardless of their gaming background.
Registration is open! You can access registration for all game titles on our IMLeagues.com web page.
Registration Opens: 3/26 (Spring Break)
Managers Meetings: 4/06 – 4/10 (Week 2)
Staff/Faculty League Registration Opens: 4/10 (Week 2)
Registration Closes: 4/12 (Week 3)
Staff/Faculty League Registration Closes: 4/19 (Week 3)
Regular Season: 4/13 (Week 3) – 5/17 (Week 7)
Playoffs: 5/18 (Week 8) – 5/31 (Week 9)
Code of Conduct
Our Code of Conduct borrows from the GLHF Pledge by AnyKey. By participating in our esports intramural season, players agree to:
- Be a good sport whether I win or lose
- Know that people online are real people and my words have real impact
- Set a positive example with my behavior
- Speak up against discrimination, hate speech, harassment, and abuse
- Show integrity by honoring the rules, my opponents, and my teammates
- Stop, listen, and reassess if I’m told that my words or actions are harmful
- Respect others, even if their sincere opinions are different from my own
All leagues this season will follow both our general intramural rules and their own individual rulesets, below.
Select matches will be shoutcasted by our students and streamed on our Twitch channel. Due to in-game limitations on spectator views and streaming capabilities, we may not be able to stream each title.
We are trying to cover a variety of popular games within our community of UCI students, staff, and faculty. An asterisk * marks free-to-play games if you’re looking for a new title to try.
- League of Legends (5/team, PC, System Requirements)*
- Wednesdays at 7:00pm
- Overwatch (6/team, PC, System Requirements)
- Tuesdays at 5:00pm
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Solo, Nintendo Switch)
- April 16 at 6:00pm
- FIFA 20 (Solo, Xbox + PS4)
- Mondays (PS4) at 5:00pm
- Tuesdays (Xbox) at 6:00pm
- Magic: The Gathering Arena (Solo, PC, System Requirements)*
- Wednesdays at 6:00pm
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (5/team, PC, System Requirements)
- Fridays at 5:00pm
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (5/team, PC, System Requirements)*
- Thursdays at 6:00pm
- StarCraft II (Solo, PC, System Requirements)*
- Mondays at 5:00pm
- Staff & Faculty League: Scrabble (Solo, PC)*
- Tuesdays at 6:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up?
- Go to IMLeagues.com/uci/ to register.
- Create an account. NO PAYMENT IS NECESSARY.
- Fill in your information accurately.
- You must use an UCI.edu email.
- Return to the main UCI page and scroll down to view the list of Spring 2020 leagues.
- Select which esports league you want to join.
- Create a team OR join as a free agent.
- (Optional) Repeat from 5 if you wish to join multiple leagues.
- Some will be hosted concurrently, so you’ll have to pick one.
- You will receive an email with an invite link to join our Discord server!
If I don’t have a team, can I sign up as a free agent? Can you help me recruit more members?
During registration, you’ll have multiple options. You can register as a free agent, start your own team, or register as a team (and recruit for any missing slots). Once you’ve registered, you’ll also receive an invite to our Discord server which you can use to recruit other members as well.
Why are the team competitions all co-ed?
We want everyone to be able to enjoy esports. We know from experience that without a co-ed requirement, participation tends to be overwhelmingly male-dominated. We see esports as an opportunity for men and women to compete as equals, and we want our intramurals to provide that opportunity.
What is Discord?
Discord is a free program that has become one of the most popular ways for people to connect online via text messaging and voice chat. We will be hosting our intramurals through the UCI Esports server to have one easy place to communicate with all players and moderate activities.
My favorite game isn’t listed. Can you add it?
We held a vote (ending Wednesday, March 25) for our wildcard tournament, in which StarCraft II rose victorious! We have to limit the games we support due to interest on campus and the ability of our staff to support each title well; however, we also aim to run one-off tournaments throughout the season, as bandwidth allows.
What does it cost to participate?
There are no fees to participate this season! However, some games do cost money to own. You can find the free-to-play titles above, marked with an asterisk *.
Will I still win an IM Championship t-shirt?
Yes! We have plans to distribute the shirts to all championship winners on campus in the future.
What kind of internet connection will I need?
Each game has their own requirements, but 30 megabits per second (Mbps) is sufficient for each game. We recommend using a wired internet connection as opposed to wireless, as that will increase speed and stability.
What hardware do I need to participate?
We have linked above, in our games list, the recommended and minimum hardware specifications for each PC game, as provided by the game publishers. Just click on the respective “System Requirements” link!
Where are the rules located?
All rulesets will be posted on this page and in the IM Discord server, under the Rules header.
If you have additional questions, please email us at email@example.com!